It is estimated up to 14 percent of children from birth to age 5 experience social and emotional problems that negatively affect development, early learning, social interactions and their family.
Counseling & Recovery Services offers an expanded Wraparound Tulsa for ages 0-5 to care for these children and their families.
How does Wraparound help?
Wraparound helps the child and family overcome the emotional and behavioral issues. Each child and family has a Wraparound team that includes someone with experience raising a child with emotional and behavioral issues. This team is available 24/7 to help the family. The team also guides the family in building a support system of individuals and services to meet their needs.
Young children’s mental health symptoms impact their caregivers and entire family. Parents and guardians of Wraparound clients have access to support and education.
Children who receive this intervention are more likely to complete high school, have fewer contacts with law enforcement and live independently.
Wraparound also serves children through age 16, and our Transition team works with young adults ages 17-25.
To learn more about Wraparound for all ages, call 918.492.2554.
Here are behaviors that may indicate an emotional or behavioral health issue:
- Becomes rigid when held
- Excessive crying even when needs are met
- Does not respond to caregiver
- Does not respond to environment
- Restless sleep or lack of sleep
- Irrational fear
- Rarely smiles
In addition to behaviors above, 18-36 months:
- Extremely destructive, disruptive, dangerous or violent behavior
- Repetitive self-injurious behavior (head banging)
- Self-stimulating behavior
- Severe separation anxiety
- Difficult toilet training
- Screaming instead of using language
- Severe temper tantrums that cannot be stopped
- Easily overwhelmed by stimulus
- overreacts to touch or noise
In addition to behaviors above, pre-school ages:
- Frequent night terrors
- Extremely hyperactive
- Excessive preoccupation with routine, objects or actions
- Biting, kicking or attempting to injure others
- Angry, resentful or easily annoyed
- Inability to regulate behavior
- Frequent temper tantrums
- Exaggerates the truth and/or lies
- Argues with and/or openly defies adults
- Does not play with peers
- Does not use sentences of 3 or more words
- Speech cannot be understood
- Poor coordination of movement
Wraparound professional staff members also welcome the opportunity to provide education about children’s behavioral health for all ages. Call 918.236.4127 to arrange a presentation.