Valentine’s Day and American Heart Month have a lot in common. They focus thoughts on caring for others and ourselves. We need to care for ourselves first to have healthy relationships.
February is a great time to build your self-esteem and commit to self-care.
Did you know self-care impacts your mood and your heart? Some of the easiest ways to care for your heart and well-being are:
- Eat healthy to fuel your body and mind
- Exercise as simple as walking makes a huge difference
- Get enough sleep to protect your heart and immune system
- Spend quality time with family & friends
- Take time to do things that you enjoy
- Be kind to yourself (watch critical self-talk)
- Monitor blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol
- Stop smoking or vaping or don’t start
- Seek help for alcohol and drug use issues
Everyone at Counseling & Recovery Services wishes you a healthy, happy Valentine’s Day and Heart Month.
If you struggle with behavioral or emotional issues keeping you from caring for yourself, we can help. The Sanctuary Model of trauma-informed care at Counseling & Recovery Services emphasizes self-care and wellness as part of treatment.